540 Coast Regiment Royal Artillery 

South Foreland Battery


St. Margaret's Lower Lighthouse during WW2.

 

This and the Windmill were used as billets for WRNS Special Duties Service Y personnel. These were linguists listening in to German E boats operating in the Dover Strait and reporting received messages to Bletchley Park (Station X).

 

Their Watch Room was in the Windmill.


By Ed Connell
 

Lighthouses

Fire Command Post - Next to South Foreland Lighthouse

Other military in the area:

  101 Coast Brigade .
1.1.47 HQ Dover Eastern Command
1947 Bde units: 410, 411, 415, 418 and 419 Coast Regiments RA (TA) .
31.10.56 410 Coast Regiment converted as 5th Bn, The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) .
31.10.56 411 Coast Regiment formed part of Port and Travel Control Group .
31.10.56 415 Coast Regiment, Kent elements amalgamated with 263 Regiment as 263 Regiment RA (TA) and Essex elements amalgamated with 353 Regiment as 353 Regiment RA (TA) .
1.8.50 418 Coast Regiment amalgamated with 284 Regiment as 284 Regiment RA (TA) .
31.10.56 419 Coast Regiment amalgamated with 358 Regiment as 358 Regiment; the late 419 Regiment formed a new bty of 358 Regiment RA (TA) .
. 31 Dec 1956: Coast Artillery disbanded

 

Get social with us.

Tweets from Skill Horizons SHout @Skillhorizons
PrintPrint | Sitemap
© Skill Horizons